Posted by: turtlebella | 8 February 2007
Bullets of the random Thursday
- Cannot be arsed to write an actual post. But lots of things swirling around in the life.
- Had a good visit with my sister. The first day we were there she was very out of it and her breathing was very labored and rough. She vaguely knew who I was but was very excited to meet the sqvirrel (she is very male-oriented, do you know what I mean? One of these people who always perks up in the company of men and similar) – she got a big old grin on her face when he came in. But then she rapidly sunk into saying things like, “Why is the baby there?” when there wasn’t a baby anywhere. The next days though she got better and better, was aware for most of the day, and our final day actually got up and walked a bit, sat in a chair to eat, etc. And her wicked sense of humor was very much in evidence.
- My family cannot communicate worth a damn. Turns out that this turn for the worse was due to pneumonia. Which none of the siblings and at least some of my sister’s kids did not know. (!) So the 1-2 week prognosis might have been due to the fact that many people with end stage cancer die of pneumonia. But we don’t really know. In any case, the massive dose of antibiotics seems to be working well and she is recovering from that. Where it all stands on the cancer side I don’t really know. They aren’t doing any more cancer-reducing therapy (radiation or chemo) so presumably there’s not a lot of time left.
- My family, they either love drama or drama loves them. I don’t want to get into specifics but there was so much drama flying around that it was hard to be in the house sometimes. I tried to duck most of it and just focus on my sister. And the sqvirrel and I left the house every day just to get away from it all.
- The little soft one is having another ultrasound today. This time they will do a biopsy so that we can determine whether it is liver cancer or hepatitis. Cancer would be worse as there is nothing they can do. But they didn’t see a tumor in the ultrasound last week, so I have faint hope. Hepatitis not really great either though. Am again spending the week trying not to cry. The little soft one, she is my treasured first dog and has been like my child these last 9 years or so.
- Okay, on to something not so depressing. This morning on our community radio station I heard Ike and Tina Turner’s absolutely fantabulous version of “Proud Mary.” I have been heavily programmed to hate Ike for a long time, such that I haven’t really listened to their music. But damn, this is a fine, fine song.
- Yesterday the sqvirrel and went to the local outpost of The Devil is Beating His Wife [a southern saying for when it’s raining and sunny at the same time and obviously a pseudonym; I just like making up pseudonyms, so sue me] grocery store. Okay, I know we’ve lived here for three weeks now, but when you don’t have a kitchen going to the grocery store is not a high priority, plus we have been to the Big River Co-op several times. We were shocked, shocked I tell you, to find out that you don’t have to belong to a savings club (or whatever those direct marketing schemes are called) to get the sale prices! They don’t seem to have such a thing. Shocked. And quite happily.
- Under the category of gee, if I had some spare cash lying around, I would like to have this aerogarden thing, reviewed at Groovy Green. Garden lettuce in the middle of winter. Oh yeah.
- Here in the great frozen northern midwest state it’s fuckin’ cold. Right now it’s 0 degrees (F). And we’ll be lucky if we reach the projected high for today, 8 degrees (F). Yeah, we chose to live here. Insane? Perhaps.
- Reason #523 I don’t have spare cash lying around: retail therapy. While out of my sister’s house avoiding the flying drama shit I bought three hats and a purse. Because I hadn’t just spent oodles of $$ on last minute plane tickets. Because I don’t have enough of either of those things. Right. I need a closet for all the purses I own. And just now I contemplated a purse or two on etsy.com. What the fuck? Why is it that one can never have enough purses or hats or shoes? Is it just me? Am I just accesory-insane?